Sunday, September 12, 2010

Do you REALLY believe in Me?


One of the most persistent questions looming in young minds: "What do THEY think of me?"

As a Dad and as a Student Pastor I'm convinced that the young people in my sphere of influence need to hear that I authentically believe in them, that I have confidence in their ability to lead a life of significance here and now for Christ. Today our adult Student Ministry Leadership Team gathered together and we challenged each other as to the messages we are sending out to those students we minister to and those kids in our home who God has placed in our trust. Here are some bullet-point notes from today.

We successfully convey the message "I believe in you" when we practice 2 approaches:

What happened: NOTICE and NAME specific Character Traits

STOP, LOOK, AND LISTEN

What could happen: Encourage STRENGTHS rather than constantly correcting WEAKNESSES

THE BIG QUESTION: Are my students / kids CONVINCED that I truly believe in them?
A students (your kids) will more likely trust that God believes in him/ her when he/she feels confident in your belief first.

Even God the Father felt that this message was valid enough to communicate to His Son in the presence of all that were there on the day of His baptism we as have it recorded that God spoke audibly saying, "This is my Son in whom I am well pleased" Matthew 3:17
  • What conclusion do you think your students / children would draw when they ask "What do THEY think of me?"
  • What overall message does your ministry send to students?
  • How do you/ your leaders / your family practically convey this message?
  • How does our confidence in kids mirror the confidence God Himself has in them?
  • Are those under your care convinced that you genuinely believe in them?

topic and selected passages from David Stall's Words Kids Need to Hear

No comments: