Monday, January 4, 2010

Planning an Intentional Devotion Life for 2010? Do you have a plan?

The most important thing you can do in 2010 is cultivate a devotional life that facilitates an intimate relationship with God. You won't accidentally get close to God. So, for 2010 I wanted to encourage you to evaluate your plans for pursuing HIM. Here are some of the things I'm excited about pursuing in 2010:

A Plan: I'm excited about the Bible Reading Plans ( from YouVersion.com ) This online bible has 20+ solid reading plans and almost every translation to choose from available directly on your mobile device. Exciting. Useable. Consistent.

A no exemption Time and Place: don't allow other things in your life to schedule out your time with the Lord. This year I'm planning my time and treating it like an appointment with the most important person in the universe. morning, night, lunch - whatever; just make it consistent and not optional.

Journal your Thoughts and Prayers: journaling helps me process what I am learning from the Lord. It's good to go back and read your journal to see how God has been working and moving in your life. Get a moleskin or a cheap equivalent and just do it for a season, see if it helps you. Barnes and Nobles has the best journals I've found

Realize this is a Community Project: share what God is teaching you - get together with a group of others regularly to talk about what God is doing. I'm planning on meeting with a group of students once a week to talk about what God is teaching them - teaching me. Your faith is personal but it was never meant to be private.

Don't give up: I love what a friend wrote recently, "I've missed meal in the past, but I never gave up on eating. I just made sure I did not miss out on the next meal (and usually made up for it). You are going to miss days, often times multiple days. Just know that your righteousness isn't based on the consistecy of your devotional life; it is in Jesus Christ who is constant and ever faithful."

Another quote from my friend JR - The beauty and joy of 2010 will not depend upon your circumstances, but upon your experience of the One you were made for. As much of him that you want to experience, you will experience. He promises to reward those who diligently seek him (Hebrews 11:6).

God bless you in 2010 as you seek Him 1st! Want to read more? - check out this post by my pastor friend from NYC, JR Vasser Planning an Intentional Devotion Life for 2010


No comments: