Wednesday, July 14, 2010

5 Reasons I love to run...



5. My Health - Studies have shown the health benefits of running to be tremendous, reducing your chances of everything from the common cold to cancer. Running is among the best aerobic exercises for physical conditioning of your heart and lungs. It helps ensure the efficient flow of blood and oxygen throughout the body, things that are proven to help to decrease the risk of a heart attack. Plus I like drive-thru's to much to not try and offset all that with some good habit.

4. My Humility - running reminds me that I'm human (esp lately hitting 30). With every ache or pain after each run I'm reminded that while I might be able to knock out a 26.2, one day I will not be able to. I think God uses my running to check my pride, and according to the Bible I read, that's good for me. Need a dose of humility - try cranking out 7min miles for 26.2. Running makes me feel my humanity; my mortality. No wonder I can praise God so powerfully on a run!

3. My Hobby - ever since I was 13 I have been athletically superior at, well nothing, but today with my 3 kids, my wife, and my ministry as my focus, all I have that even comes close to athletic competition is running. I hate the word hobby - for no real reason I guess, but if I have one I guess it's strapping on my shoes, grabbing my iPod, and hitting the trail here in Kingwood for an hour or so.

2. My Hangup with Technology - iPod, running watches, GPS, heart rate monitors, technical running gear, are all things I love // although I normally can't afford them. This year as I'm training for the ING NYC Marathon in November I've found Nike+ to be a HUGE help in my running motivation as well as tons of fun to play with. Check it out @ nikeplus.com. Running let's me be nerdy and athletic at the same time!

1. My Habitual Drug of Choice - don't drink, don't smoke anything, but apparently I do drugs... According to a NY Times Article and recent research experts have shown that running produces drug like addictive endorphins in your brain. No wonder I actually look forward to my daily drug use - running; which incidentally is most sport's punishment!


"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
I think the apostle Paul would agree with that statement as well when it comes to our living for Christ - don't you?




No comments: