Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bringing up my boy!

I'm so proud of all my kids, but especially proud to be the Father of my boy Benjamin. Not because he's the best behaved, not by far. Not because he's the smartest, toughest, bravest, or sharpest looking, but because God has entrusted ME to be HIS dad. He will get MY last name, MY legacy for Christ, MY values - for good or bad.

As I live out this calling called Dad here is what I'm learning.

5. TIME- there's nothing as valuable to my boy as MY time.

4. Bedtime is when I can have the best communication time with him everyday. I should be there for that time EVERYDAY.

3. Time around the dinner table is as valuable for teaching as it is listening.

2. Wrestling is his love language (I hope that changes before he outweighs me by 50+ lbs!) but for now I'm scheduling it weekly.

1. He's learning even at the age of 3 how to treat women by watching how I treat his Erin, his mom.

Over it all I'm learning that I have to always MODEL the things of God for him before I TEACH them.

Here's to the adventure/ challenge of raising boys...for me Ben.

Picture: Ben and his bearsy-wearsy....bens name for him.

No comments: