Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I've never...

Remember playing the game "I've never" when you were younger? You basically sit in a circle of chairs with others and someone stands in the middle, makes a statement of something they have never done (ie. worn a dress), then everyone who HAS done that certain thing gets up and must find another seat.  The one left without a seat once everyone find a spot is then in the middle. "Never" played it before? It's a simple, fun, and active game -- great for children old and young. (Maybe we will play on our family camping trip next week)

This week I had a mentor who I look up to share his "I've never" thoughts with me based on years of ministry experience, and it warranted passing them along with some reflections of my own:

I've never heard anyone say...

1. I wish I would've worked more.
This is pointed for Fathers especially. Right now you may be in a season of life where work is demanding, literally. It demands your time, your energy, and your focus. While truly hard workers seem in short supply, and diligent work is honorable there has never been anyone at the end of their life that said, "I wish I had worked more." 

2. I spent too much time with my kids.
Today I enjoyed a daddy-daughter lunch with my littlest (Lucy). She talked the entire time telling me about her day at preschool and informing me of her plans for our camping trip next week. (she plans to bring her American doll). As a young parent there are days that seem like they will never end, but I try to keep perspective that 50 years from now I will not find myself saying, "I spent too much time with my kids." No one says that.

3. I wish I was never baptized
As the cultural debate is ever-present on the subject of Jesus and his followers I've never heard someone lament their choice to trust Christ and identify with Him in baptism. Interesting.

4. I wish I didn't tithe that money
Buyer's remorse...I wish I didn't buy that car, I shouldn't have bought those clothes, and I regret purchasing those stocks are all sentiments we have felt. However, isn't it interesting that people never seem to regret giving a tithe. In the long run giving rarely makes our lists of life's regrets.

My response - leaders manage opportunities. Everyone has 86,400 seconds each day to use or abuse. Once an opportunity is gone you can't grab it back - that's true of a day or a lifetime. Sobering. I want to spend my time investing on things that matter and will matter in years to come.

Some key ways to seize the day and do what counts:
1. Make a to do list at the end of each day for tomorrow
2. Question everything: ask yourself- is doing this really important 
3. Avoid clutter
4. Use a calendar - it will help you see the big picture of where you are going.
5. Do things with excellence but avoid perfectionism
6. Think about long term goals

 Psalm 90:12 “Teach us to number our days, O Lord, that we may apply our hearts with wisdom”

No comments: