Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Leading a Team (part 2) - Team Leadership

I don’t like committees. Big groups of people rarely make the best decisions and often slow things down.

When I talk about leading as a team, I am NOT talking about ministry by committees.

On any good team, there is a head coach. Someone must be in charge. But if the coach is wise, he’ll build a team of coaches.

In any ministry, I suggest the following:

  • One leader who is ultimately responsible for the direction of the ministry.
  • Three to seven people who become some sort of a leadership team. (Two is not enough. Three drastically improves the dynamics. More than seven becomes bulky. This could be an advisory team, executive team, leadership team, directional team, or whatever suits your purposes.
  • When possible, the people on the team should be a diversified group.
  • Each person has an equal voice—but the leader reserves the right to make the final call. (On our team, it has been years since I have overridden the wisdom of the team. I still reserve the right at any time to make the hard call.)
I love leading our team here on the North campus - we had a great meeting to day to dream about the future. Can't wait!

Brian

No comments: