Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Missing the manger - part 2

Luke 2:10 - The Shepherds
And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people."

Over the last few days I've been trying to walk the fields with the Shepherds who lived near a town called Bethlahem and heard about Jesus that starry night. One thing I could not escape is how God's message just BURST into their lives. Into their ordinary, routine lives.

I realized - it gives great HOPE for us who may have decided that tomorrow will not be different than today. God does that - He BURST in!
Here's the idea: This year Christmas can happen to you!

What was the Message to these ordinary Joe Shepherds like you and me?
3 PHRASES

Good News - this is the core of Christmas. It's good news that Christ came and burst into our lives to change us for eternity. I just love hearing good news, what about you? God loves sharing it!

Great Joy - When I think of Great joyous words I think of are "Excited", "Impressed", Enthusiasm", "Passion." And this "Great Joy" is not Just for you - it's something God wants to do in you! It's Personal. Christmas involves you. Christ involved you at Christmas.

All people - This means this news and joy is not limited in circulation. It's for YOU! This Year. FOR me. It's for Shepherds, Kings, the common, the rich, the wise, the regular, the struggling, the effective, the young, the old, the impressive, the shy, the lovely, the down and out. I love that!

A question I have asked myself:
Are you experienceding that good news right now in your life?
Despite any bad news that may exist in your life?Don't let those circumstances erase the good news - the greatest news!

The angel called it Good news, but it's really greater than any other news around. It's what will last - it's what Christmas is all about!


managing not to miss the manger,
Brian


No comments: